Worcester-based Air Spectrum Environmental Limited is delighted to launch a new consultancy business. Spectrum Environmental Support (SES) provides expert advice in industrial odour, dust and air emissions consultancy across a range of industries including: Water and Waste Management, Local Authorities’ and process industries such as those operating odorous or dusty plants including effluent treatment, construction, engineering and manufacturing.
Odour pollution is one of the most intrusive pollutants and causes disruption and annoyance to thousands of lives every day across the UK. As a pollutant, odour is one of the most difficult to define, and equally dust has impact on the public and workers’ health, and must be managed in a professional manner.
Most businesses in these sectors must comply with Environmental Permits and other statutory requirements or face heavy fines and possible imprisonment. Spectrum Environmental Support will support new and existing customers as these businesses increase their efforts to avoid the consequences of not responding to regulatory demands.
As legislation becomes tighter and process changes are introduced, the marketplace for Spectrum Environmental Support’s professional odour and dust management services will expand. Many organisations will adopt more responsible attitudes and approaches towards managing and controlling processes that operate with potential to cause odour and dust emissions.
Spectrum Environmental Support’s technical services, specialist products, and practical capabilities will be increasingly focused in response to customer demands for effective support and solutions which will properly manage a comprehensive range of their odour and dust issues, and in particular to ensure strict compliance with environmental legislation, especially where there are demands for: –
- Assessing reporting and managing the causes and effects of environmental issues relating to odour, dust and airborne pollution
- Urgent remedial and/or routine works to address sites where a varied range of odour and dust problems are identified
- Introductions of specialist new control equipment including management packages
- Monitoring and modifying existing systems and equipment to bring sites into line with Environmental Permitting Regulations (EPR) and other requirements e.g. Local Authority Pollution Controls (LAPC)
Odour and other airborne pollution can arise from various sources such as waste, water treatment, restaurants, sewerage works, landfill, petro-chemical, industrial processes, agriculture and food manufacture. Any process which handles odourous material can cause odour pollution, and problems can occur at all stages of a business process. Planning and permit applications that lack sufficient impact assessments can be rejected; neighbourhood complaints can be troublesome, gaining unwanted media coverage, and in worse case scenarios sites can be prosecuted, receiving hefty fines for odour problems.
Dust suppression and control is a critical factor when it comes to preventing the exposure to dust of the public and employees. Dust Control measures usually involve a combination of equipment and methods of working to reduce exposure. The right combination is crucial. No measures, however practical, can work unless they are used properly. SES consultants will assess and advise on dust monitoring equipment and dust suppression techniques for a range of industries including dust suppression for construction, quarries and mines, demolition and aggregates, sports arenas, tracks and equestrian facilities.
Spectrum Environmental Support can help in all odour, dust and associated emissions related cases. With the correct precautions, abatement and management the release of pollutants can be contained and the impact effects limited.
The SES team will provide odour and dust consultancy and management including:
- Site odour impact assessment (including on-going site monitoring)
- Site sampling using structured collection, handling and transport protocols
- In-house laboratory analysis via their UKAS Accredited Laboratory
- Dispersion modelling using ADMS 5 software
- Detailed Reporting and recommendations
- Monitoring Equipment supply and installation
- Monitoring Equipment servicing and maintenance
- Provision of independent and accurate advice about appropriate abatement and control measures.
- Bespoke and specific training
Air Spectrum Managing Director Mark Thomas, said: “Our nationwide industrial odour and dust services to industry puts us as a market leader in the provision of consultancy and advice when it comes down to managing these nuisance areas.
“The formation of Spectrum Environmental Support as an independent consultancy aside from our equipment and chemical business means we can offer these technical services without bias and offer professional and neutral advice and solutions.”